Geosciences Research Division
- Production, transformation, and removal of aquatic organic matter.
- The role of dissolved organic matter in the ocean's biological carbon pump.
- Nitrogen cycling in the coastal California Current Ecosytem
- Dissolved molecules that facilitate microbe-microbe interactions.
- Halogenated organic compounds in the coastal environment.
- Research tools: Characterization of complex organic matter using LC ESI MS and comprehensive GC TOF MS.
- Research tools: Natural stable isotope and radioisotope measurements on bulk reservoirs and specific compounds.
- Research tools: DNA sequencing of microbial populations.
- B.S., Mount Holyoke College, Massachusetts
- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology-Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution